Maintenance Requests—report, update and troubleshoot your situation
Solutions and information to keep you living comfortably.
Toonen Properties seeks to create comfortable, maintenance-free experiences whenever possible. From time to time, however, urgent situations arise where additional maintenance support is needed. That’s where our 24/7 on-call emergency team excels.
Please take a moment to look through the most common maintenance requests and solutions below. If you do not see your situation listed or if you have additional questions, please contact your specific location’s office to submit your request. Online maintenance requests via the resident portal coming soon.
Maintenance Frequently Asked Questions
What qualifies under the 24/7 after hours emergency on-call maintenance support?
My dishwasher won't start no matter what button I press. Why?
The following list contains examples of situations that are considered DIRE EMERGENCIES and will be acted upon by our maintenance staff immediately! Please be aware that our 24/7 on-call maintenance team consists of the same hardworking staff members who promptly assist you during our normal maintenance hours of Monday-Friday from 7:00 am-3:30 pm and they should only be contacted outside of these hours in EMERGENCY situations. We thank you for your consideration.
- FIRE ALARM SOUNDING (just beeping, please change battery). If there is smoke, CALL 911 FIRST, then call the 24/7 maintenance team number for your location.
- CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM SOUNDING (just beeping, please change battery).
- WATER LEAK that cannot be contained with a bucket until business hours.
- FLOOD of any kind. TURN OFF WATER USING SHUT OFF KNOB first if possible. For more information on a toilet overflow see our question and answer on the topic below.
- PLUGGED TOILET in a unit with only one toilet and plunging is not successful.
- AIR CONDITIONER MALFUNCTION over 80 degrees for those with documented medical reasons for A/C.
- NO HEAT or heat under 65 degrees (WINTER SEASON ONLY).
- BROKEN LOCK
- GARAGE DOOR MALFUNCTION and the emergency release key is not working.
APPLICABLE CHARGES APPLY:
- LOCK OUT – This applies to an apartment or garage where you are unable to remove vehicle (photo id required for entry).
Please make sure you have turned power on to your dishwasher. This can be done by flipping the correct switch located on the wall by the sink in the kitchen. This switch should have been introduced to you during your initial move in and walk through.
My dishes are not getting clean in the dishwasher. Help!
Your dishwasher has one spray arm located at the bottom of the appliance. Do not place large pots/dishes face down on the lower rack otherwise dishes on the top rack will not clean. Make sure to rinse dishes FULLY prior to putting in the dishwasher and use a high-grade detergent and Jet Dry.
How do I turn on my gas fireplace?
How do I work my in-floor heat?
Open the lower grill and follow the instructions below to light the pilot. The pilot will need to be lit one time each day you would like to use the fireplace. The gas is automatically turned off very early each morning.
Turn gas knob to “PILOT.” Depress and hold gas knob while pushing the red igniter button REPEATEDLY. Keep knob fully depressed for up to 15 seconds per try, then release. You may repeat this step if needed. When pilot under the fireplace logs is lit, turn gas knob counter-clockwise for desired operation time, up to 60 minutes. To see an instructional video click here.
Radiant hot water heat takes several hours to reach the desired room temperature when turned up or down. It will work best if set at a constant temperature that is comfortable for both day and evening hours. In addition, if running your fireplace the thermostat will mistakenly not kick in (due to the heat from the fireplace) and the rest of your apartment may cool.
How does my air conditioning work? How should it be maintained?
Why do only some of my electrical outlets work?
Your air conditioner may come with a cover, which is removable. Please make sure to check your A/C unit annually at the beginning of the summer to make certain it is working properly. Please do not turn the cool knobs all the way up as this may cause ice to build up on the outside of your unit, freezing it, and it will no long work properly. The vent should be open and the unit in the “ON” position, not on “FAN”.
Also, make sure that your heat thermostat is turned below 60 degrees during the summer months to assure that your heat does not come on. Please make sure all windows and patio door are closed while A/C is running.
The upper receptacle of the outlets in your living room work only when the light switch is turned on for that room. If the items in your kitchen are not working when plugged in then ‘re-set’ the outlet by pushing the red button in the middle of the outlet.
How do I use the garage door emergency release?
My toilet is overflowing or leaking. Now what?
Follow the steps outlined for use of emergency release (Note: improper use of ER release can cause damage to the overhead door sections.)
- Use of emergency release is not designed as an every day entry method and for this reason a key lock accessory is needed for this use.
- After inserting key in release, pull cable to disengage opener. IMPORTANT!! Before opening the door, reinsert the lock and relock it. After opening and closing the door, the opener will automatically reconnect.
- We recommend you practice this procedure at least once so you become familiar with it prior to an emergency. In the event your remote is not working please notify the office immediately. For emergency access to your garage you can use your Emergency Release Key. If you don’t believe you have one please contact management.
Turn the lever/knob off on your toilet to stop water flow. You can find this knob located below toilet tank. Do NOT use tablets or similar products in tank. This destroys the internal components of the tank.
There is a smell coming from the bathroom or laundry room. How can I get rid of it?
This smell comes from the floor drain drying up. Pour 2 quarts water with 1 cup bleach down the floor drain.